Monday, May 11, 2009

The Bowling Trophies

My dad never bowled, although I think he would have been very good at it if he had because he was slow, even-tempered, methodical and smart. I tried several times to try getting him to go but he just had other things he'd rather do, like woodworking or fixing something for someone. My mom bowled in a ladies league with one of her friends and had me take bowling lessons with her friend's daughter. I liked it and later I started up a church bowling league--our first ever at a small neighborhood bowling alley--Bowl-o-drome!

The first year, we just had all teens with just one adult named Norm, the friendliest man I ever knew who was very fat and single his whole life. It was the most fun league I was ever in. Our best bowler had around a 160 average. I would figure the averages that night and my mom and I checked the score sheets (this was before automatic scoring when you actually had to use your brain and add yourself). Everyone enjoyed themselves and there was no arguing or bickering about anything. It was just a lot of fun!

At the end of the season, my dad suggested we have a party in our basement and he offered to buy trophies. He said any league needs to give trophies at the end, the kids deserve them. Obviously, the church wasn't really behind it. I guess there were some that were pretty upset we even had it under the church name at the lanes. Some people always find something to complain about--it seems like they feel it's their "job." Anyway, my dad and I went to pick out the trophies and everyone was thrilled that we had them.

Slowly, as the league continued, more adults joined and it became a family league. I continued on for many years but I eventually got tired of doing all the work so formed a bowling Committee to run it later. We charged a little extra the following years to cover trophies and food for a banquet. Still, the first year was the best!

UPDATED 5/14/09: You may want to join in on the free giveaway contest for my book at Red Pine Mountain.

8 comments:

Susan Cook said...

That was great your parents were so involved in your activities. I love to bowl, but was never in a league. That is nice your father got everyone trophies and threw them a party.

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

Being part of a great team can be a lot of fun. You Dad had a great idea with the trophies.

The Silver Age Sara said...

What a great story. Your Dad was a fantastic, generous man.

DayPhoto said...

This was really good story!

Thanks for stopping by.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jude said...

I haven't been bowling in years, but use to love it. I've never been on a league though, your Mom and Dad sound like great people.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Sue: My dad was the best! I acquired quite a few bowling trophies over the years. These are only a few pictured here.

Maria: I agree, much of the fun in bowling is chatting with your teammates between turns.

Mountain Woman: Glad you liked the story. Yes, my dad certainly was generous and fantastic! I still miss him a lot.

DayPhoto: Thanks.

Jude: I think bowling is more fun in a league as a team. Although, I remember really enjoying practicing on my own when I was in school. I'd bowl 8 games by myself sometimes.

BeadedTail said...

What a wonderful story!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

I love all these stories about your dad. What a great blog!

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.